Jim's Ramblings

Random happenings from my mostly boring daily life!

Sunday, April 02, 2006

I'm still alive!

I haven't posted in a long while, partially because nothing much has been going on. Basically there are only 3 real things in my life at the moment - getting ready for my move/new job in October, getting ready for graduation, and finishing up this semester.

On the job front, I went to Blacksburg last weekend and got everything ironed out. I'm really looking forward to being done with school, moving, and getting started. I think it will be a very good situation overall. On the roommate front, I was hoping I might end up living with Ray, but that unfortunately fell through, at least for this year. So, I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get my own place. It'll likely be a 2br, 1.5ba in one of the nicer areas of Foxridge. This will be my first time living alone for any length of time, so it should be interesting. There are advantages of course, especially in the privacy/women department =). That said, I know it can get awful quiet. I'm hoping I'll be busy enough and have enough friends around the area that I won't really notice. Of course, this also means I'll have a guest room.. so you people better come down and visit me!

On the school front, we are sort of on the "back edge" of the storm. Things are picking up for a final push before they slow down in preparation for finals. The main thing I've got going is a 25 page paper. The good news is I'm done with my research and outline, and I'm 10 pages in. The bad news is there are 15 left. I'll probably work on it some this week and finish it up this coming weekend.

Only other real news is I'm gonna be 25 (that's right, the quarter century mark!) on April 7. My mom may come down, assuming I can get enough time away from the paper to celebrate

7 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger goodbye said...

Living by yourself is freakin' awesome. I know you don't particularly care for it, but be open-minded about it. If I weren't getting married, I would NEVER have a roommate ever again - and I like living with people! (Just not as much as I like living alone.)

If it gets too quiet, just turn on the TV. Duh. =P

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Yeah I'm being pretty open minded about it. Honestly, the major negative to me at this point is the financial side of things. Its just WAY more expensive. But I can afford it, especially after I get my bar results and get my first raise, so I think everything will be cool.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Dude, you're going to be living in Blacksburg. Don't even talk to me about expensive. :-)

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Jim H. said...

Yes, but you also make less $$ in Blacksburg then you do in NOVA :). My apt will probably be $760-800 a month. Thats for a 2br, 1 is only 80-90 bucks cheaper, so I figure the extra space is worth it. That's certainly way lower than NOVA, but not exactly cheap either :P.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

Dude, you're gonna be a lawyer. Don't even talk to me about salary versus rent. :-)

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Jim H. said...

Haha, my salary isn't that hot... small firms don't pay that well. I'll make 600/week until I get my bar results (about a month after I start). The assuming I pass, it goes to 800/week (41,600/yr). Then after 6 months it goes to 1000/week (52K/yr). I'll be in significantly better shape after that bump.. that's likely when I'll start the IRA etc :).

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Courtney said...

Yeah, so in 7 months you'll have accomplished what took Matt two years. Plus you'd only be $200 a month away from where we were when we started, and paying $200/month less for your apartment :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home