Jim's Ramblings

Random happenings from my mostly boring daily life!

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Last law school class.. DONE

That's right folks, I just finished my last law school class... EVER. Most likely my last truly academic class EVER. Oh, sure, there will be Continuing Legal Education classes to take and that sort of thing, but those are professional classes, not academic ones. And they are one day seminar type things. So yeah, my academic career is quickly coming to an end. I really don't think it’s sunk in yet. Unlike many in law school, I've been in school my whole life. I didn't take time off between college and law school to work. The longest I've ever held a full time job of any kind my entire life is about 2.5 months. Put another way, I'm 25 years old and I'm facing the prospects of the "real world" for the first time.

And I say.. bring it on. I'm honestly looking forward to it. This is a LONG time to be in school with no break. Especially when you consider that, unlike PhD programs where most of what you do is more work than school (ie, lab work, not classes), law school is *all* classes. And I'm sure there will come a time when I will look fondly back on my law school days and think how much better school is than work - but that time isn't now. Right now, I'm just glad to get out of here and do some of the things that have been on hold the past 3 years. Like getting enough sleep... like lifting regularly.. like dating.. like having money. There are certainly things I'll miss about school - the intellectual conversations in class, the collegial environment, and the casual comfortable clothes! But all in all.. I'm ready for a change in my life. I'm ready to move forward.

Of course, I may have spoken too soon when I said last class EVER. After all, I may one day return to the hallowed halls of academia - an advanced law degree? Some classes for fun in my old age? Who knows - I do know that we never stop learning, and as time presses on, it can be a good thing to return to that formal education we all must one day leave, as I am about to do.

So, what's left you ask? Final exams - I've got three. The worst is Tuesday. The other two are 9 days later. Oh, and the final draft of my paper. I don't have to do too much, just some minor changes. Then graduation is May 14. After that, I'll have my J.D. I'll be a "Juris Doctor." I'll be able to truthfully put "James H. Hutchinson, Esquire" in my email signature. Pretty crazy! Then all there is is the "simple" matter of the bar exam. Once I pass that and get my results in October, I'll have the keys to the court system.. I'll be able to file suits in Virginia and the Federal courts, go before judges, defend people's lives and property. When you think about it, its a pretty awesome responsibility.

Ah well, that's for another post. In the future, perhaps i'll pontificate on my overall law school experience. Until then, I'm just glad I don't have any 8:30am classes for a while.

1 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Good luck with your tests. I bet it's a nice feeling to have the classes over and done with. And you have a nice break between the first test and the last two, so that's pretty sweet.

Hehe, Esquire. You need to put that on everything!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home